Search Tags: Pepco
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley has issued an executive order that calls for a study into improving infrastructure and burying power lines. It comes less than a month after a devastating derecho and a week after regulators gave Pepco the approval necessary to raise electric rates.
It's been nearly a month since a violent storm ripped through the region, one Bethesda family is still recovering.
Maryland Rep. Chris Van Hollen says Pepco should not receive a 4 percent rate increase until the utility makes meaningful progress on reliability.
The prolonged power outages that many utility customers suffered through, following the June 29 derecho, have led to a call for heads to roll.
During the derecho, Pepco had crews from as far away as Canada pitching in. That raises a question: Does Pepco have enough repair crews?
Two Maryland state senators urged state regulators on Thursday to fine Pepco and Baltimore Gas and Electric more than $100 million each for the long power outages residents suffered during and after a powerful summer storm that swept across the state in late June.
Pepco has asked the Maryland Public Service Commission to delay its decision on a 4 percent rate hike, The Washington Post reports. The panel scheduled to vote on the increase this Friday.
Since the derecho knocked out power to over a million customers in Washington region, there have been more calls to bury power lines. Now a fed up Pepco customer has started a petition.
The head of Maryland's Public Service Commission said Thursday that all of Maryland's major electrical utilities will have to file reports on how they managed power restoration in the aftermath of the strong storm that tore through Maryland late last week, knocking out power to more than 1 million Maryland customers.
As the region's extreme heat is expected to continue into the weekend, a utility is urging its customers to conserve electricity.