Comment
50
Tweet
4
Print
RSS Feeds

Charcoal grill causes fire that guts Waldorf home (Video)

Thursday - 4/17/2014, 11:27am  ET

WASHINGTON -- A charcoal grill is to blame for destroying a Waldorf, Md. home Monday morning, Waldolf Volunteer Fire Chief J.R. Hayden says.

Two adults, six children and Niles, the family dog, managed to get out the house in the 2900 block of Henry Court before the 4:30 a.m. fire gutted it. Two of the children are family friends.

Homeowner Carl Remalia says a smoke alarm and his son alerted him to the fire.

Remalia says he's "blessed to just be alive and (have) the family safe."

The fire marshal is investigating.

An online fundraising effort is underway to assist the family in rebuilding. To donate and learn more, visit www.gofundme.com/8cp44w.

WTOP's Kristi King contributed to this report. Follow @WTOP on Twitter and on WTOP Facebook page.

© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.