WASHINGTON -- It's the kind of lists that would make the most cynical of "Mad Men" characters slobber -- the most recognizable and most likable advertising slogans in America.
According to a study reported on the Main Street marketing website, "Melts in you mouth, not in your hand," from the old M&M candy commercials, is the best-liked slogan in the nation.
Nike's "Just Do It" is the best-remembered. Only four slogans made both lists.
The research, titled "A Study of the Antecedents of Slogan Liking," will appear in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Business Research.
The four slogans that made both lists:
- "Got milk?" (Milk Processor Education Program)
- "Eat fresh" (Subway)
- "Think outside the bun" (Taco Bell)
- "Melts in your mouth, not in your hand" (M&M)
See both lists on the Main Street website.
Some of the other marketing tidbits gleaned from the study:
- Women liked slogans more than men.
- Richer people liked slogans more.
- Recall may be more useful for impulse buying.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.