RSS Feeds

Syracuse edges Georgetown in OT to reach BE final

Saturday - 3/16/2013, 3:54am  ET

Syracuse's Baye Keita (12) celebrates after the overtime period of an NCAA college basketball game against the Georgetown at the Big East Conference tournament Friday, March 15, 2013, in New York. Syracuse won the game 58-55. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- They went nose-to-nose one last time, Syracuse and Georgetown in a throwback struggle at the Big East tournament.

Of course, 40 minutes wasn't enough to decide it.

And that was only fitting.

Brandon Triche scored the go-ahead basket early in overtime and No. 19 Syracuse advanced to the Big East championship game with a 58-55 victory over No. 5 Georgetown on Friday night in the final conference clash of their storied heavyweight rivalry.

The fifth-seeded Orange (26-8) will make their 15th appearance in the tournament title game and go for their sixth crown Saturday night at Madison Square Garden against No. 4 Louisville, the defending champion. The second-seeded Cardinals defeated No. 24 Notre Dame 69-57 in the second semifinal.

Triche, James Southerland and backup center Baye Moussa Keita all had 13 points for Syracuse, trying to close out its Big East tenure with one more championship before bolting for the ACC next season. The last Orange title came in 2006, their second in a row.

The Orange held top-seeded Georgetown (25-6) to 22 percent shooting from 3-point range (4 of 18) with their trademark 2-3 zone and got a big game from their bench to avenge a pair of double-digit losses to the Hoyas this season.

"Just us losing last time by 20, that meant a lot for us to even get to play against them again," Triche said. "Just reading comments from them, talking trash about us, it made it even more important to win a game like this."

Georgetown is one of seven basketball-focused Catholic schools splitting off from the conference to create their own league, which will begin play next season and keep the Big East name. Syracuse already was headed to the ACC, as are several other schools.

"This is just to do with football. You know that. It's just where everything is going," Orange coach Jim Boeheim said when asked why the school would walk away from this event. "Just wait a few more years. Everything will be gone."

There's an interest on both sides to resume the rivalry as nonconference foes, but no deal has been completed.

The teams ended up splitting 14 meetings in the Big East tournament, another appropriate conclusion.

Two original Big East titans toe-to-toe on the New York stage for one final time. It certainly delivered.

"It's a shame they're heading down to Tobacco Road for a few dollars more," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "This is a rivalry that meant a lot to our program and to their program and to this conference."

Boeheim earned his 50th win at the Big East tournament, by far the record. The Orange had lost four of five coming into the tournament, all to ranked teams, before knocking off Seton Hall, Pittsburgh and Georgetown the past three days.

Blown out 61-39 at Georgetown last Saturday, Syracuse took charge this time with a 13-0 run in the first half, holding the Hoyas scoreless for nearly eight minutes. But they later erased a 12-point deficit, tying it at 49 with 1:47 left in regulation on two free throws by Jabril Trawick.

Keita hit a pair of foul shots to put the Orange back on top at the 1:23 mark, but Big East Player of the Year Otto Porter Jr. drew a blocking foul on C.J. Fair and calmly canned both ends of a 1-and-1 to tie it at 51 with 7.3 seconds to go.

Michael Carter-Williams had a chance to win it for Syracuse, but he missed a shot just before the buzzer and the fiercest rivalry in Big East history was extended for another 5 minutes.

Triche scored on a driving layup to start the extra session, Keita put the Orange up by four with a putback and they held on from there -- thanks in part to an emphatic, soaring dunk by Fair over multiple outstretched arms.

Down by three, Georgetown got the ball with 18.4 seconds remaining. Syracuse trapped Porter near the sideline and he threw an off-balance pass into the middle of the court that was intercepted.

"They played it well," Thompson said.

Fair had a chance to seal it at the line, but he missed both free throws. Trawick's heave from halfcourt banged off the backboard, and the jubilant Orange held on.

"It hurts," Georgetown point guard Markel Starks said. "We felt like we made some plays down the stretch, some positive plays. We did some good things. But that doesn't mean anything with the outcome."

   1 2  -  Next page  >>