Comment
48
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

5-year-old boy accidentally swallows methadone

Wednesday - 9/5/2012, 1:37pm  ET

WASHINGTON - A 5-year-old boy is recovering after accidentally ingesting his father's methadone, Anne Arundel police say.

Officials from the Western District responded to a call Sept. 4 at approximately 8:10 p.m. on the 1200 block of Reece Road. They found the child not breathing and performed CPR. He was eventually transported to a Baltimore hospital.

The boy's father, 28-year-old Paul Kristopher Brooks, handed authorities a bottle of pink liquid he identified as methadone, which was later determined to have been purchased illegally. Authorities also found cocaine, marijuana, heroin, methamphetamine, a loaded .357 Magnum and a .22 caliber rifle inside the home.

Brooks is charged with possession, possession with intent to distribute, two counts of possession of a firearm and one count of firearm accessible to a minor.

Additional charges of child neglect are pending, officials say.

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)