Comment
0
Tweet
1
Print
RSS Feeds

Demolished basketball court won't be rebuilt

Saturday - 9/24/2011, 4:12pm  ET

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A basketball court at an Annapolis public housing community that was demolished by a developer last year won't be replaced.

The Capital of Annapolis reports ( http://bit.ly/qg6SNY) that city officials thought the court at Annapolis Gardens, which was destroyed to make way for a new management office, would be rebuilt with public funds. The city had committed about $130,000 for the project.

But Judith Siegel, chairwoman of developer Landex Corp., says that won't happen.

The Annapolis Housing Authority owns Annapolis Gardens, but Siegel's 50-year lease calls for redeveloping and managing the public housing community.

City spokeswoman Rhonda Wardlaw said the city was preparing for the basketball court to be rebuilt.

But Siegel wrote to Annapolis Mayor Josh Cohen, saying there were suitable recreational facilities available nearby, that basketball courts can attract unruly teenagers, and that it didn't make sense to use public funds on a basketball court.

___

Information from: The Capital of Annapolis, Md., http://www.hometownannapolis.com/


(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)