Station & Location: WTOP - Washington, D.C.
Hours: 40 hours a week
Posted Date: November 11, 2013
Closing Date: December 31, 2013 or until filled
FLSA Status: Non-exempt (Hourly)
Contribute to make WTOP.com the leading provider of timely and relevant news and information. Write original news articles from exclusive WTOP on-air interviews in a clear, concise fashion -- on deadline and in an accurate and timely manner. Edit original articles for publication on the website. Organize and manage content on WTOP.com. Engage with WTOP consumers through various social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook and bring new ideas to the table.
- Create and distribute news content across all digital platforms, including social media;
- Write and edit news copy from reporters, the Associated Press and other sources; turn content into dynamic online stories;
- Manage breaking news across all digital assets, including homepage, email and text alerts and social media;
- Engage with and grow Facebook fans and Twitter followers;
- Always evaluate and reevaluate homepage layout, story selection, headlines and blurbs based on Web analytics and stats;
- Communicate & collaborate with Broadcast Editor;
- Front-line technical support.
- 3-5 years reporting/writing/editing experience;
- Proficiency in Photoshop, HTML and audio editing;
- Excellent writing and editing skills under tight deadlines;
- Excellent news judgment;
- Attention to detail with content, including grammar, punctuation and fact- checking, and layout;
- Understanding of social media and its relationship with news consumers, online marketing and Web traffic;
- Be part of a team to develop new and innovative content for the Web and on- air;
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, breaking news situations;
- Flexibility in work schedule
- Work in compliance with Company policies and procedures;
- Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management and clients;
- Project appropriate company image with respect to dress and demeanor;
- Thorough knowledge of news, current events, pop-culture;
- High level of initiative required and the ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of the local radio industry and familiarity with all radio terminology and methodology preferred.
- Valid driver's license;
- Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field;
- Knowledge of audio and video editing software.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF POSITION:
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds with no more than 40 db loss @500 Hz, 100Hz and 200Hz with or without correction;
- Repetitive motions: Substantial movements of the wrists, hands and /or fingers;
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects including human body;
- Visual acuity requirements for machine operators of administrative standard.
Qualified applicants are invited to download an
Hubbard Radio Washington D.C., LLC
Web Site: www.wtop.com
Attn. HR / 3400 Idaho Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20016
Qualified candidates are invited to download the application available on our web site. Questions can be directed to Human Resources. We do not allow walk-in candidates. To be considered an application must be submitted by fax, email, or mail for current posted position(s). Resume is accepted when accompanying our application. Unsolicited resumes will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer