Title of Position: Traffic Reporter/Producer
Reports To: Director of Traffic and Transit Operations
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 3400 Idaho Ave, NW, Washington, DC
To be an effective team member and make a full contribution to the success of WTOP
by providing effective traffic gathering, relationship building and team work
skills on-air, online, in social media such as Facebook and Twitter, e-mail and
text alerts, smart phone apps and all new viable forms of digital media. Reporter
will collect traffic information through the monitoring of police and fire
department scanners, calls to area transportation, police, fire and EMS agencies
to confirm information obtained over the scanner.
Reporter will also be responsible for taking tip calls from WTOP listeners in a courteous and professional manner and getting that information on the air in a timely and concise report. Reporter will perform all job functions in line with the company's Mission, Values, policies and procedures.
- 3-5 years of traffic reporting experience;
- Local knowledge of Washington, D.C. market;
- Proven ability to cultivate and gather traffic information;
- Ability to work under a deadline;
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Valid driver's license and insurability;
- Ability to operate reporter equipment, microphone, mixers, police scanners and two-way radio equipment;
- Strong writing, typing, computer and social media skills;
- Ability to work established schedule and other hours as needed;
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures;
- Ability to function in a team environment;
- Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management, listeners and clients;
- Project an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
- Degree in Journalism, Communications, related field or related experience;
- Assertive, communicative, inquisitive;
- Knowledge and experience reporting traffic in a major market.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF POSITION:
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing;
- Manual dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate computer keys and general office equipment (telephone, copier, calculator, etc.) for extended periods of time;
- Ability to hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written direction;
- The company may make reasonable accomodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions;
- Outdoor exposure to heat, cold, and environment elements.
Qualified applicants are invited to download the application available on our website. Questions can be directed to Human Resources at email@example.com. We do not allow walk-in candidates. To be considered, an application must be submitted by fax, email, or mail for current posted position(s). Resume is accepted when accompanying our application. Unsolicited resumes will not be accepted.
Hubbard Radio Washington D.C., LLC
Attn. HR / 3400 Idaho Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20016
An Equal Opportunity Employer