Thanksgiving cooking tips
Chef Jeffrey Katz discusses ways to prepare a delicious turkey and side dishes for your Thanksgiving meal.
WASHINGTON - Chef Jeffrey Katz of Amphora says carving a turkey can be made simple with a few easy steps.
To cook a delicious Thanksgiving turkey, Katz offers the following suggestions:
- Roast the turkey in the oven at 350 degrees with the breast-side down. Flip
the turkey about halfway through the cooking.
- When the turkey is done, let it sit for about 30 minutes after you take it out
of the oven.
- Slice the turkey between the leg and the breast and then snap the joins to
remove the legs. Put legs to the side.
- Slice down the breast bone and cut along the sides.
- Remove the pieces on each side and slice the breast as thin or as thick as
you'd like. Remember to cut across the grain (lengthwise).
- Cut the meat off the legs by holding the top of the bone.
- Snap the wings off at the joint.
- Use the rest for soup, turkey pot pie or snacks
In the video below, Katz demonstrates how to carve the turkey.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.