Comment
12
Tweet
1
Print
RSS Feeds

Maine girl's cellphone catches fire in her pocket

Wednesday - 2/5/2014, 7:40pm  ET

KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) -- The "stop, drop and roll" mantra came in handy for a Maine eighth-grader when her cellphone caught fire in her pocket at school.

Kennebunk middle school Principal Jeff Rodman tells The Portland Press Herald (http://bit.ly/1fiLLMp) that the girl heard a popping sound Friday morning and smoke started billowing around her.

Boys were herded from the room so the 14-year-old girl could shed her flaming pants. She also did the "stop, drop and roll" move to help put out the fire. She was treated at a hospital.

Her mother had given her the Apple iPhone 5C two months earlier.

___

Information from: Portland Press Herald, http://www.pressherald.com


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.