WASHINGTON - With rising gas prices, the gas rewards programs at Giant and Safeway may save you money.
In general, customers earn one gas reward point for every $1 spent on groceries and prescriptions.
Once a customer spends $100 they earn 10 cents off per gallon. If you spend $200 you get 20 cents off, and so on.
At various times, both stores offer ways to earn even more gas rewards. For example, right now you can earn five times the usual number of gas rewards when you buy selected items at Giant.
Here are some of the differences between the programs:
- Rewards from Giant can be redeemed at many Shell stations, and Safeway's
rewards can be
used at participating Exxon and Mobil locations.
- Safeway will give you two rewards points (instead of one) for every $1 spent
on most gift cards.
- With Safeway, the most you can save in one fill-up is $1 per
Giant customers can save as much as $2.20 per gallon.
- Giant's gas rewards can be used toward as many as 35 gallons of gas in one
transaction, while Safeway's rewards are limited to 25 gallons at a time.
- Giant's gas rewards expire exactly 30 days after you earn them, and Safeway's are good through the end of the month that follows the month in which you earned them.