WASHINGTON - Don't let your pain in the gas force you to settle for another "stay-cation." WTOP Saves You Money with tips on gas usage.
The price at the pump may be down a bit, but you still need all the help you can get on that road trip you're planning.
We've gathered a few tips to save you money.
- Check your tire pressure and slow down to boost fuel economy.
- Use a gas app to find the cheapest price and use regular if you can.
- Use oil labeled "energy conserving."
- Get a credit card that gives cash back on gas purchases.
- Use EZ Pass to avoid long toll booth lines.
- Use Google Maps to avoid gas-eating congestion.
- Ask hotel chains and resorts if they offer gas cards or rebates.
- To maximize your miles per gallon, keep luggage inside. Reduce aerodynamic drag by not strapping it to the top of your vehicle.
- An extra 100 pounds inside the car can reduce mileage, too.
WTOP's Bob Kur contributed to this report. Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
The Nickelodeon star's antics continue in New York City.
She can sing, but can she act? Jewel takes on a famous role.
Clothes have a starring role at the Cannes Film Festival. (Photos)
Snooki awkwardly meets "Jersey Shore" nemesis Chris Christie.