Adam Tuss, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - Montgomery County is considering increases to Ride On bus rates, as well as charging more for parking in certain areas.
The county also may extend parking enforcement to Saturdays in many places.
The higher parking fees are part of Montgomery County Executive Ike Leggett's proposed budget.
Under the plan, Ride On rates would go from $1.70 with cash to $2. SmartTrip users would pay a dime more.
Expanded parking enforcement hours are proposed for parking lot districts in Bethesda, Silver Spring and Wheaton.
A public hearing will be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at county council headquarters in Rockville. The hearing will be in the County Council Office Building's third floor hearing room, located at 100 Maryland Ave. in Rockville.
Here are the additional changes proposed in the budget:
- Raising the cost of the monthly Ride On pass from $40 to $45.
- In the Bethesda Parking Lot District: raising the fee for long-term parking from 75 cents an hour to 85 cents an hour and increasing the monthly pass from $140 to $160, and the associated daily and carpool passes, effective July 1,2012. Enforcement hours would be expanded to Saturdays, effective Oct. 1, 2012.
- In the Silver Spring Parking Lot District: raising the fee for long-term parking from 60 cents an hour to 70 cents an hour; increasing the monthly pass from $113 to $132, and the associated daily and carpool passes, effective Jan. 1, 2013; and expanding enforcement hours to Saturdays and to 7 p.m. Monday to Saturday, effective Oct. 1,2012.
- In the Wheaton Parking Lot District: expanding parking enforcement hours until 10 p.m. in lots and at on-street metered spaces, effective July 1,2012.
- In the Silver Spring Parking Lot District: expanding enforcement hours to 10 p.m., effective Oct. 1, 2012.
- In the Wheaton Parking Lot District: raising the fee for short-term and long-term parking from 50 cents an hour to 60 cents an hour and increasing the monthly pass from $95 to $113, effective July 1, 2012.
- In areas outside of parking lot districts: raising the fee for long-term parking from 60 cents an hour to 70 cents an hour and raising the monthly pass from $113 to $132, effective July 1, 2012.
- Establishing a resident permit for each of the parking lot districts at a discounted rate from the respective parking convenience sticker.
- Raising the biennial residential parking permit fee from $35 to $45.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
Wounded vets say Segways help them see the world at eye level.
What famous actor should be cast to play this guy?
Scenes from last night's show and spectacle in Las Vegas.(Photos)
A funeral home offers a bicycle hearse and a casket that's a basket.