WASHINGTON - Washington's Union Station and the Metro stop it houses have reopened after being temporarily evacuated because of an electrical fire.
District of Columbia fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said crews responded to a report of an electrical panel fire at the Metro station at about 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The fire sent smoke billowing from the ventilation shafts in front of historic Union Station.
Both were evacuated and about 65 firefighters responded. The fire was put out by 7:30 p.m. and the train station was then reopened. There were no injuries.
Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said trains were held up in both directions for about 25 minutes. By 8 p.m., both Metro station entrances were open. He said Metro electricians were on the scene. Stessel said water from Union Station apparently infiltrated a Metro electrical room, causing the sparks and smoke.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
An 18-year-old creates a tiny device that charges a phone quickly. (Video)
Fans have hooked up RG3 and his fiancee for their wedding.
J.K. Rowling scribbled notes and drawings in a first-edition copy.
What famous actor should be cast to play this guy?