Adam Tuss, wtop.com
WASHINGTON -- A week after Tropical Storm Irene drenched the D.C. region, the cleanup on the roads continues. And it is apparent, things may not be back to normal for quite a while.
In Maryland, the State Highway Administration says temporary fixes should be in place on Md.381 (Brandywine Road) over Timothy Branch in Prince George's County by Friday. U.S. 301 (Crain Highway) north of Md. 6 (Port Tobacco Road) in LaPlata also should be repaired by Friday.
But just a little farther away on U.S. 301 south of Md. 6, repairs to the road aren't expected to be complete until October. On Md. 234 (Budds Creek Road) over Allens Fresh Run in LaPlata, the roadway is completely closed. A temporary bridge isn't expected to open until mid-November.
In Anne Arundel County, the ramp from Md. 2 (Ritchie Highway) to westbound Md. 100 is expected to be closed until mid-fall.
The Virginia Department of Transportation also is still dealing with a number of washed out roads and bridges in Fairfax County.
According to VDOT, three bridges in Fairfax County were destroyed and will be replaced with temporary structures:
- Lorton Road over Giles Run will be temporarily replaced within two months. The posted detour route will be a little more than 8 miles long. This road carries about 6,000 vehicles a day.
- Beach Mill Road over Nichols Branch will be temporarily replaced within six weeks. Beach Mill Road carries about 1,700 vehicles a day. The posted detour will be approximately 6 miles long.
- Towlston Road will be temporarily replaced within six weeks. This road carries about 350 vehicles a day, and the posted detour will be approximately 2 1/2 miles long.
The following roads in Fairfax County remain closed:
- Sunrise Valley Drive eastbound between Glade Drive and Mercator Drive
- Hillside Road (both directions) between Moverly Court and Cameo Square
- Essex Avenue (both directions) at Middlesex Avenue
- Miller Road (both directions) at Westhurst Lane
- Hunter Mill Road (both directions) between Crowell Road and Chamberlain Drive
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)