HELSINKI (AP) -- Major tour operators in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark say they have canceled at least 60,000 trips to Egypt through the winter season that lasts until April due to recent unrest.
Last week, charter companies and travel organizers flew back hundreds of Scandinavian holidaymakers from resorts in Egypt and halted all tours there until mid-October. The move came in the wake of Nordic governments' revised travel advisories warning against all nonessential travel to Egypt.
Denmark's largest tour operator, Spies Rejser, said Tuesday it will refund or find alternative holiday breaks for some 3,000 customers who had planned to go to Egypt.
Torben Andersen of Spies Rejser says Egypt "remains a rather big player" in the Danish tour industry, representing more than 10 percent of all winter destinations.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.