Comment
69
Tweet
5
Print
RSS Feeds

Testudo the terrapin catches fire (Photos)

Wednesday - 12/18/2013, 10:37am  ET

WASHINGTON - Police say a fire Tuesday night at the University of Maryland College Park campus was probably accidental.

The fire started at the statue of Testudo, the terrapin, outside of McKeldin Library between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m.

Students leave mementos at the statue to bring them good luck during finals week and some those objects went up in flames.

University of Maryland police tell ABC7 the blaze was probably started by a candle that tipped over.

People tweeted pictures showing the charred trash around the terrapin:

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.

© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.