At 2:19 p.m., MCFRS units were called to the incident in front of the PNC Bank at 7235 Wisconsin Ave, department spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. The fire was likely the result of an electrical transformer problem underground.
MCFRS quickly called Pepco to address the problem. No one was hurt and firefighters cleared the scene about 20 minutes later.
It did cause a bit of a stir. Michael Harr, chef at the Food, Wine & Co. restaurant across the street, tweeted that the fire looked like an inferno:
Today has been a little wild, a 20ft blast of fire just shot out of the ground like an inferno from the street thank god nobody got hurt
— ChefMichaelHarr (@ChefMichaelHarr) July 15, 2014
On Wednesday, there wasn’t much evidence left of the fire. Crews were busy installing new brick sidewalks in front of the bank.