Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

FA: No evidence England fans abused Ferdinands

Friday - 3/29/2013, 9:58am  ET

FILE- In this Friday, March 22, 2013 file photo, San Marino's Alessandro Della Valle, watches as England's Jermain Defoe goes for the ball, during a World Cup qualifying group H soccer match between England and San Marino at the Serravalle stadium, Italy. UEFA's executive committee wants players to speak out against teammates and fans after racist incidents at soccer matches. The UEFA ruling board on Thursday, March 28, 2013, ratified a proposal on tackling discrimination presented by its Professional Football Strategy Council, which is chaired by President Michel Platini. A call for tougher sanctions echoed recent comments by FIFA President Sepp Blatter, but went further in stressing a key role for players to curb the problem. (AP Photo/Marco Vasini, File)

LONDON (AP) -- The English Football Association says it has found no video evidence of racist chanting by England fans against Rio and Anton Ferdinand after a complaint was made to FIFA.

European fans monitoring group Fare sent a report to FIFA after apparently abusive chants during last Friday's World Cup qualifier at San Marino were highlighted in British newspapers.

FA executive Adrian Bevington says there was "no reason to dispute the media reports" but added that "we have not found any recorded evidence of the specific discriminatory chanting referring to Rio and Anton Ferdinand."

Rio Ferdinand declined to join the England squad last week after being selected. His brother, Anton, was involved in a high-profile racism case that led to Chelsea captain John Terry losing the England captaincy and later quitting international soccer.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.