ROCK HALL, Md. (AP) -- Fire officials say an electrical failure in a cord powering an air-conditioner caused a house fire that killed an 85-year-old Rock Hall woman.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal said in a news release Monday that Hester Louise Wright died in the July 14 blaze. Authorities say Wright awoke to the fire on the first floor about 4 a.m. and alerted her 42-year-old daughter.
Officials say Jill Wright tried to lead her mother out of the house, but Hester Wright was not able to escape.
Nearly 50 firefighters battled the blaze, which caused $120,000 in damage. Investigators say Hester Wright died from smoke inhalation and burns.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.