FINKSBURG, Md. (AP) -- Maryland fire investigators say a 14-year-old boy was taken to a hospital after his mattress caught fire while he played with a cigarette lighter.
The Carroll County Times reports (http://bit.ly/1atBcTQ) that the fire that broke out on Wednesday night destroyed the Finksburg mobile home.
Deputy Michael Guderjohn of the Office of the State Fire Marshal says the teen was sent to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center's burn center with possible thermal injuries to his airways. Three adults and two other juveniles were examined at Carroll Hospital Center for smoke inhalation.
Officials say it took 20 firefighters about 20 minutes to control the blaze, which destroyed the home, causing an estimated $40,000 in damage to the home and its contents.
Information from: Carroll County Times of Westminster, Md., http://www.carrollcounty.com/
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.