Comment
112
Tweet
6
Print
RSS Feeds

Wheaton mall fire attributed to grease build-up

Sunday - 12/29/2013, 2:31pm  ET

wheaton.JPG
Few minor injuries were reported, including a firefighter, at the Westfield Wheaton mall fire on Saturday, Dec. 28. (WTOP/Kathy Stewart)
  • Gallery: (6 images)

WASHINGTON - The Saturday, Dec. 28 fire at Crisp and Juicy at Westfield Wheaton mall is being blamed on a build-up of grease and other substances in duct work over the cooking area, says Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham with Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.

The fire began around 11:15 a.m. Saturday and the mall was evacuated immediately. Firefighters quickly knocked out the blaze and the mall reopened shortly after 2:30 p.m.

According to Graham, the approximate damage was $180,000. A firefighter suffered minor injuries.

Large fans were used to clear the mall of smoke.

Saturday was a busy day for "returns" at the store, and people remained lined-up outside the mall until it reopened.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.

© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.