On Thursday, Washington 2024 announced its board members for the Olympic bid, with backgrounds ranging from politics to business to food.
"We want to really have people think about sport as a common language, to bring our region together, to bring our city together," says Russ Ramsey, chairman and CEO of Washington 2024.
The group's website, www.DC2024.org, is now live. Ramsey hopes it will facilitate participation among locals who support the bid.
Washington is one of four U.S. cities still in contention to host the Summer 2024 Games.
"London is a great example of how a really good city can use the Games to transform itself and become a great city," says Ramsey, noting the development throughout London's East End before the Summer 2012 Games.
The Washington 2024 Board Members:
- Rosie Allen-Herring, president and CEO of United Way of the National Capital Area
- José Andrés, chef/owner of ThinkFoodGroup
- Neil Cohen, president and CEO of District Photo, Inc.
- Mark Ein, founder and CEO of Venturehouse Group, LLC and founder/owner of the Washington Kastles World Team Tennis Franchise.
- Robert G. Hisaoka, president of RRR, LLC, Chairman of Carsquare
- Jim Hudson, former U.S. representative to the European Reconstruction and Redevelopment Bank
- Sheila Johnson, president, managing partner and governor of the WNBA's Washington Mystics
- Jeong H. Kim, chairman of Kiswe, Inc.
- Mark D. Lerner, principal owner and vice chairman of the Washington Nationals Baseball Club and a principal of Lerner Enterprise
- Kevin Plank, CEO and founder of Under Armour, Inc.
- Anthony T. Pierce, partner in charge, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLC
- Linda Rabbitt, founder, chairman and CEO of rand* construction corporation
- Joseph Rigby, president and CED of the Pepco Holdings, Inc.
- Denise Rolark-Barnes, publisher of the Washington Informer
- Paul Tagliabue, former commissioner of the National Football League (NFL)
- Mark Weinberger, global chairman & CEO of EY
- Anthony Williams, mayor of Washington D.C. from 1999 to 2007
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.