WASHINGTON -- It's been a long time coming and now there's a sweepstakes to be among the first to ride Metro's new Silver Line.
"The opening day for Silver Line is Saturday, July 26," says Metro Spokesperson Dan Stessel.
There will be a ribbon cutting at the Wiehle Reston East Station at 10 a.m. that day.
"We're actually doing a sweepstakes to select 10 lucky winners to be aboard the first train," Stessel says.
The winners, chosen at random, will win two reserved seats on the first train and a Metrorail one-day pass for the inaugural day activities.
Members of the public who sign up for the chance to be among the first 10 riders will also become subscribers to Metro's Silver Line newsletter, which will provide regular updates on the new line's operations.
The first phase of the Silver Line runs 11 miles from Reston to East Falls Church and besides the Wiehle station includes four other stations -- Spring Hill, Greensboro, Tysons Corner and McLean.
"Those stations will all open at 11:30 on that Saturday, so you'll be able to go in tour the stations at a leisurely pace and wait for that first train at noon," Stessel says.
- Metro's GM discusses fare increase, Silver Line
- Safety drill conducted ahead of Silver Line opening
- Start date set on Metro Silver Line service in Va.
- Silver Line slated for late July opening?
- New bus routes to carry passengers to Silver Line stations
- Metro worried about more delays for silver line
- Silver Line construction not finished; opening delayed again
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.