Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Fire at Roanoke complex accidental, 47 displaced

Thursday - 5/22/2014, 10:02am  ET

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) -- Roanoke authorities say a fire at an apartment complex and assisted living facility has been ruled accidental.

Roanoke Fire-EMS Chief David Hoback tells media outlets that four people suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene of Wednesday's fire at Stratford Village. A firefighter and a paramedic also gave oxygen to one cat after it was rescued.

The city fire marshal's office determined that improperly discarded smoking materials caused the fire.

The fire displaced 47 people. A temporary shelter was set up at the Roanoke Civic Center. A community animal response team is helping residents who have pets.

Hoback says the fire started in a third-floor apartment. Some residents who use wheelchairs or walkers were carried out of the building.


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags: roanoke