WASHINGTON -- A New Carrollton man is displaced after a Sunday afternoon fire and now his 41 pet rabbits need new homes.
The fire, started in the basement of the single family home on Adrian Street, likely began when a burning log shifted in the fireplace, igniting combustibles, says Prince George's Fire/EMS Department.
Several pets were rescued including the 41 rabbits. The displaced man, who wasn't injured, was taken to a temporary shelter and relinquished the rabbits to Prince George's County Animal Management.
But now, they need new homes. The adoption fee was discounted to $30 each and includes spaying and neutering.
In a news release, Rodney C. Taylor, Associate Director, Animal Management Division said, "Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter."
For more information, call the Prince George's County Animal Shelter at 301-780- 7201.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.