WASHINGTON -- The Washington Regional Alcohol Program will offer rides home to St. Patrick's Day revelers through SoberRide from 4:00 p.m. on Monday, March 17 until 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 18 in an effort to prevent drinkers from driving the roads.
To receive a free cab ride home, call 800-200-8294 (TAXI). AT&T customers can dial #WRAP from their wireless phones.
Details and requirements of the SoberRide program:
- Callers must be age 21 or older to use the SoberRide service.
- All requests for SoberRide service must be called to and dispatched from 1-800-200-8294.
- Do not call a taxi company directly for SoberRide service as the ride will not be covered under this program.
- A free cab ride home is up to a $30 fare. Callers are financially responsible for anything over $30.
- Callers cannot reserve a SoberRide or schedule a pickup in advance.
- When waiting for a SoberRide, watch for a cab from participating taxi companies.
Participating Taxi Companies:
- Alexandria Yellow Cab (Alexandria)
- Barwood, Inc. (Montgomery County)
- Fairfax Yellow Cab (Fairfax County)
- Loudoun Yellow Cab (Eastern Loudoun County)
- Manassas Cab Company (Prince William County)
- Red Top Cab Company (Arlington County)
- Silver Cab of Prince George's County (Prince George's County)
- Yellow Cab of District of Columbia (District of Columbia)
- Yellow Cab of Prince William County (Prince William County)
All calls must originate in: Montgomery and Prince George's Counties in Maryland; the Cities of Rockville, Bowie, College Park, Gaithersburg, Greenbelt and Takoma Park in Maryland; the District of Columbia; Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William and Eastern Loudoun Counties in Virginia; and the Cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas and Manassas Park in Virginia.
Since 1993, WRAP has provided over 60,453 safe rides home, according to WRAP. Currently, SoberRide operates during the December/January holiday season, St. Patrick's Day, Independence Day and Halloween.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.