WASHINGTON -- Wilson High School and the Wilson Aquatic Center were evacuated Wednesday morning because of a chemical spill in the pool pump room.
A construction worker was seriously injured when a pipe he was working on broke and spilled acid. He was exposed to the chemicals and taken to the hospital, according to the D.C. Fire and EMS.
A firefighter was also taken to the hospital.
Students were evacuated to Deal Middle School and later sent home for the remainder of the day. School officials said it was not yet safe for students to return to the building.
Hazmat and firetrucks flanked two sides of the school. The response also shutdown a portion of Albemarle Street between Nebraska and Wisconsin avenues.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.