WASHINGTON - There is some fierce competition when it comes to this weekend's top concerts - local bands, hard-touring favorites and classic acts are all hoping to draw their fans to the area's best venues.
Read on for the highlights.
- The Hackensaw Boys perform at The Hamilton Live. The band's neo-bluegrass style is authentic, and their live performances are top-notch.
- Roots-rock vets Cowboy Mouth are scheduled for an early show at the 9:30 Club. The band's latest album, "This Train," features some of their strongest songs to date.
Listen to the title track from the latest Cowboy Mouth album below.
- Drop Electric headlines the D.C. Music Download 2-year anniversary concert at the 9:30 Club. Also performing: Young Rapids, The Sea Life, and Raised By Wolves.
- The Smithereens perform at the State Theatre. The band has been touring since the '80s, and their power-pop catalog remains as charming as ever.
- NRBQ performs at the Hamilton Live.
- Maceo Parker performs at the Barns at Wolf Trap. The legendary saxophonist has performed with the likes of James Brown and Prince.
- Songwriter Todd Snider performs at the State Theatre. Snider's on-stage storytelling is worth the price of admission alone.
- Modern rockabilly master Reverend Horton Heat perfoms at the 9:30 Club.
Check out Reverend Horton Heat performing "Spend a Night in the Box" below.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.