WASHINGTON - Weekend work zones and events may slow drivers on some routes around town. Travel conditions will be improving on Saturday as the WTOP Weather Center expects the heaviest downpours will have lifted into the New England and out to sea.
In Northwest Washington, eastbound K Street will be closed through the weekend under Washington Circle and 22nd Street for bridge work, if the weather holds out.
In Georgetown, a stretch of K Street will be blocked between 30th Street and Wisconsin Ave from 5:30 to 11 a.m. on Saturday. The Lawyers Have a Heart 10K will launch from their staging area on K Street and onto the Whitehurst Freeway westbound toward M Street. The race also includes a stretch of Canal Road and Foxhall Road.
Expect early inbound delays on Key Bridge and a diversion for inbound travel from Chain Bridge and Arizona Avenue. The closures on M Street, Canal Road and the Whitehurst Freeway should be lifted before noon.
The Capital Pride Parade will block several streets near Dupont Circle on Saturday afternoon. The parade route includes P St, Dupont Circle, New Hampshire Avenue, R Street, 17th Street and 14th Street north of Logan Circle. The street closures are expected to remain in place until 9:30 p.m.
The Washington Nationals will host the Minnesota Twins on 4:05 p.m. Saturday and will play a double-header Sunday beginning at 1:35 p.m. Expect congestion on South Capitol Street and the Southeast/Southwest Freeway before and after the ballgames.
In Northeast Washington, traffic on New York Avenue will be reduced to one lane each way between Florida Avenue and Penn Street for bridge work through noon on Saturday.
2013 Air Force Cycling Classic
The Arlington County Police Department will close several streets in Clarendon on Saturday from 4 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the 2013 Air Force Cycling Classic bicycle race. The following streets will be affected:
- Wilson Boulevard from N. Fillmore Street to Washington Boulevard
- Clarendon Boulevard from Washington Boulevard to N. Fillmore Street
- Washington Boulevard from Wilson Boulevard to N. Highland Street
- Highland Street from Wilson Boulevard to Washington Boulevard
- Garfield Street and Fillmore Street from Wilson Boulevard to Washington Boulevard
On Sunday, these streets will be affected. From 4:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.:
- Joyce Street closed from Army Navy Drive to Columbia Pike
- Columbia Pike closed from Oak Street to Pentagon South Parking (Access to the Pentagon is available at Eads Street/Army Navy Drive and Fern Street/Army Navy Drive.)
- South Gate Road - no access to Columbia Pike
- Washington Boulevard eastbound closed at I-395
- Washington Boulevard westbound closed from Memorial Bridge to I-395
- Route 110 southbound closed from Rosslyn to S. 15th Street
- Marshall Drive closed at Route 110
- I-395 South ramp to Route 1 closed
- Crystal Drive from the 1400 block to the 2300 block
- S. 15th Street - no traffic permitted east of Jefferson Davis Highway. All eastbound traffic must use Route 1.
- S. 18th Street and Clark Street - no traffic permitted eastbound towards Crystal Drive unless parking. All traffic will be detoured southbound on Bell Street.
- S. 20th Street and Jefferson Davis Highway - no traffic permitted from Jefferson Davis Highway.
- S. 23rd Street - will be converted to a one way street westbound from Crystal Drive to Jefferson Davis Highway. All traffic coming from Jefferson Davis Highway will be sent south on Clark Street.
Race attendees are encouraged to use Metro. The Clarendon station on the Orange Line is located in the middle of the race course at the corner of Highland Street and Wilson Boulevard. And motorists should be on the lookout for temporary "No Parking" signs as illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, call 703-228-4252.
I-395/95 Express Lanes Project
VDOT has cancelled previously planned HOV lane closures along I-95/395 this weekend because of heavy rain.
The closures had been planned for ongoing construction of the new 95 Express Lanes.
Leesburg Events and Traffic Changes
In Leesburg, the Potomac Celtic Festival will be held at Morven Park from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Big events at Morven Park often produce delays between the bypass and Lucketts even when accompanied by police direction at the park entrances.
Event-goers headed to the Celtic Festival or the Run, Walk & Wag 5K at Philip Bolen Memorial Park will want to be aware of the new traffic pattern change on the southside of the Leeburg Bypass. On Saturday the traffic signal on the Route 7/15 Bypass at Sycolin Road will be permanently removed. Traffic on the bypass will no longer be able to access Sycolin Road. Sycolin Road will be closed between Gateway Drive and Hope Parkway while a new overpass is constructed.
Metro Track Work
Rail work on Metro this weekend won't close any stations, but it will cause longer waits on station platforms. The work will affect all five rail lines from Friday night through closing-time on Sunday. Metro is expecting larger crowds due to downtown events and says many trains will be operating with eight cars.
- Red Line trains will operate every 24 minutes between Shady Grove and Glenmont. From 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, additional trains will operate between Grosvenor and NoMa-Gallaudet, resulting in service about every 12 minutes between these stations.
- Orange Line trains will operate every 18 minutes between Vienna and New Carrollton.
- Blue Line trains will operate every 18 minutes between Franconia-Springfield and Largo Town Center.
- Yellow Line trains will operate every 18 minutes between Huntington and Fort Totten.
- Green Line trains will operate every 18 minutes between Greenbelt and Branch Ave.
Other VDOT construction work
Saturday night, expect alternating double lane closures on I-395 South between Exit 3 Duke Street/Route 236 and Exit 2 Edsall Road/Route 648.
Sunday night, expect alternating double lane closures on I-395 South between Shirlington Road and Exit 5 King Street/Route 7.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.