WASHINGTON - Six people have been arrested in Virginia for illegally selling alcohol to minors.
The sweep was part of a larger compliance check conducted by Alexandria police.
Officials used informants younger than 21, but older than 18 to see if 40 stores in the area were illegally selling alcohol to minors. The informants were instructed to provide their legal identification showing that they are under age to store clerks. If alcohol was sold to the minor, police officers intervened.
The six people arrested worked at the following stores:
- Harris Teeter - 4641 Duke Street
- Giant Food Store - 530 First St.
- 24 Hour Express Mart - 4007 Mount Vernon Ave.
- 7-Eleven - 1025 W. Glebe Rd.
- 7-Eleven - 3421 Mount Vernon Ave.
- Giant Food Store - 425 E. Monroe Ave.
A spokesman for Alexandria police says the state will handle additional fines or penalties for the above businesses.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.