RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia and West Virginia are among 11 states receiving U.S. Department of Agriculture funding for emergency projects in response to Superstorm Sandy.
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced the funding Thursday from the Natural Resources Conservation Service to address public safety concerns and begin restoration efforts. Each of the 11 states received $480,000.
Conservation Service state offices will contract for work that typically includes debris removal, reseeding damaged areas, protecting eroded stream banks, and in some cases buying floodplain easements on eligible land.
The Conservation Service pays up to 75 percent of the project costs, with local sponsors footing the remaining 25 percent.
Other states receiving funds are Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Acupuncture is weird enough on people - but on a turtle?
This fox plays like a cat when he gets his paws on a golf ball. (Video)
While waiting for help, one man chose to entertain himself.
Can you guess why this pigeon is the world's most expensive?