Amy Freedman, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - This weekend features major events including the The Army Ten Miler, the Best Buddies Challenge D.C. bicycle event and the Women in Military Service for America 15th Anniversary Vigil.
Part of B/W Parkway overnight closure extended all day Saturday
This weekend the Baltimore Washington Parkway is closed northbound Saturday at the West Nursery Road overpass north of BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport because of a problem with a bridge project.
The Maryland State Highway Administration says drivers should use I-95, Route 1 or Route 29.
The project involves replacing the two West Nursery Road bridges over the parkway. While removing the northbound deck early this morning, the load shifted and cannot be wheeled away.
The bridge deck is being re-secured and will be tested to make sure that it's safe late Saturday. That decision will come later Saturday or Sunday morning.
Lane closures will begin again Saturday night at 9 p.m. with the full closure in place by 11 p.m. If you are traveling to the airport from the south you WILL be able to exit at I-195 to the airport but traveling from the north the last chance to exit will be 1-695 the Baltimore Beltway. If you continue to West Nursery Road you will be detoured along the West Nursery Road ramps. In anticipation of delays you may want to use I-95, MD 29 or U.S. Route 1 as alternate north-south routes. I-97 is also an option from points east.
I-270 Frederick County paving
On I-270 between Rt 80 Urbana and Rt 109 Hyattstown, one lane in each direction will be closed from 9p.m. Friday until 7 a.m. Saturday. This means that in that stretch I-270 will have only one lane running in each direction.
Rockville Pike resurfacing
Southbound Rockville Pike Route 355 near Tuckerman Lane, 2 left lanes will be closed starting Friday at 9 p.m. until Saturday at 2 p.m. for resurfacing
Route 50 John Hanson Highway paving
Friday night at 11 p.m., three lanes will be closed on Route 50 eastbound between MD 197 Collington Road and Rt 3/301 in Bowie. Lane closures will continue throughout the weekend until work is completed by 8 a.m. Sunday morning.
Dulles Access Road westbound full closure
The Dulles Access Road westbound will be closed between Wiehle Avenue and Reston Parkway from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday night and then again from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Saturday morning for pedestrian bridge work.
Metro will open at 5 a.m. Sunday October 21, for the Army Ten Miler.
Friday 10 p.m. through Sunday the system has closures:
- Red Line: Buses will replace trains between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights Stations
- Orange Line: Buses will replace trains between East Falls Church and West Falls Church stations
- Green Line: Trains will single track between Greenbelt and College Park
Saturday October 20:
Best Buddies Challenge The following streets will be closed as early as 6:00 a.m. and expected to reopen by 11:30 a.m.:
- Clara Barton Parkway , Chain Bridge Road to Glen Echo (turn-a-round) access to MacArthur Boulevard NW (closed 6:00 am - 930 am)
- Canal Road, - from 36th Street to Chain Bridge Road NW (closed 6:00 am - 10:00 am)
- M Street NW Eastbound from Reservoir Road (closed 6:00 am-10:00 am)
- Reservoir Road - from V Street to Canal Road (minimal access to Fletcher's Boat House, follow police direction)
- Whitehurst Freeway NW (closed 6:00 am - 10:00 am)
- M Street -will be open westbound (M Street will be closed eastbound only from Canal Street to the Key Bridge) (closed 6:00 am - 10:00am)
- Ohio Drive SW (access to Potomac Golf Course only)
- Memorial Bridge (completely open) NW (closed 6:00 am-10:30 am)
- Independence Avenue-from 14th Street to 23rd Street (closed 6:00 am-10:30 am)
- 17th Street - from Independence Avenue to D Street SW (closed 6:00 am - 10:30 am)
- 15th Street - from Maine Avenue to E Street SW (closed 6:00 am - 10:30 am)
- 15th Street - from Independence Avenue SW to Constitution Avenue NW (closed 3:30 am - 12:30 pm)
- 3rd Street - from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW (closed 6:00 am - 10:30 am)
- 14th Street - from Independence Avenue SW to Pennsylvania Avenue NW (closed 6:00 am - 11:30 am)
- Pennsylvania Avenue between 3rd Street and 15th Street NW (closed 6:00 am to 11:30 am)
- Jefferson Drive - from 3rd Street to 7th Street SW (closed 6:00am-10:30 am)
- Madison Drive - from 3rd Street to 15th Street NW (6:00am-10:30 am)
- East Basin Drive-395 South ramp to Ohio Drive river side SW (closed 6:00 am-10:30am)
- Buckeye Drive-395 North to Ohio Drive river side SW (closed 6:00 am-10:30am)
- Constitution Avenue NW - from 23rd Street to 3rd Street NW (closed 6:00 am - 10:30 am)
- 395 ramp to Maine Avenue SW (closed 6:00 am - 10:30 am)
How did a photographer get an inside view of a bear's mouth? (Video)
So, who won "American Idol"? Click here to find out.
A German official says Justin will have to pay for his monkey's care.
More cursing happens in Maryland than across the Potomac River.