PORTSMOUTH, Va. - More than 160 heating units at a Portsmouth public housing complex have been replaced following two carbon monoxide deaths.
The combined water heater-heating units installed at Swanson Homes are designed to shut down in the event of a malfunction.
Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority deputy director Kathy Warren says 163 units were replaced at a cost of $1.5 million.
Warren tells The Virginian-Pilot ( http://bit.ly/10ouuh9) that agency officials are looking at converting the entire 210-unit complex to electric. But she says such a move would be costly.
Relatives found the bodies of 65-year-old Leroy Stith and his wife, 65-year-old Inez Stith, on June 21, 2012. Warren had said the gas-fueled heater in the couple's apartment malfunctioned and created a fatal level of carbon monoxide.
Information from: The Virginian-Pilot, http://pilotonline.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
A Philly bike courier takes his cat on cycling adventures. (Videos)
Two brown bears rescued after 10 years in captivity.
"Jenny from the Block" wants you to buy Verizon phones from her.
Clothes have a starring role at the Cannes Film Festival. (Photos)