RSS Feeds

Faulty forklift blamed for Hampton CO leak

Wednesday - 8/29/2012, 9:37am  ET

HAMPTON, Va. - A propane-powered forklift is being blamed for a carbon monoxide leak that sickened four workers at a seafood processing plant in Hampton.

Hampton Fire and Rescue Capt. Anthony Chittum tells media outlets that the forklift wasn't working properly.

Authorities evacuated Sam Rust Seafood Inc. on Tuesday after four workers became ill. Two of the workers were taken to an area hospital as a precautionary measure.

A hazardous materials team cleared the building with a large fan and employees were allowed to return.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)