WASHINGTON - The next few days in the D.C. region are expected to be hot and humid.
High pressure will cause the increase in temperatures and humidity levels Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, with highs pushing into the upper 90s Tuesday and Wednesday.
In anticipation of the excessive heat, several local government agencies are altering schedules for pool hours and trash pickup.
Extended Pool Hours
The following pools will extend hours of operation until 8:30 p.m.:
- Ward 1: Banneker Recreation Center Pool, 2500 Georgia Avenue, NW, 1 p.m. -
8:30 p.m. (Closed Thursdays)
- Ward 2: Jelleff Recreation Center Pool, 3265 S Street, NW, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Ward 5: Harry Thomas Sr. Pool, 1743 Lincoln Road, SE, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Ward 6: Rosedale Pool, 1701 Gales Street, NE, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (Closed
- Ward 7: Benning Park Pool, 5100 Southern Avenue, SE, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Ward 8: Anacostia Pool, 1800 Anacostia Drive, SE, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (Closed
- Fort Stanton Pool: 1800 Erie Street, SE, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (Closed Thursdays)
- Oxon Run Pool: 501 Mississippi Avenue, SE, 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (Closed Mondays)
The following pools will extend hours of operation until 9:30 p.m.:
- Ward 2: Volta Park Pool, 1555 34th Street, NW, 1 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. (Closed Mondays)
Early Trash Pickup
The D.C. Department of Public Works will begin collections an hour earlier, at 6 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Residents can put their trash and recyclables out for pickup beginning 6:30 p.m. the day before collection.
Prince George's County
- Camp Springs Senior Activity Center, 6420 Allentown Road, Camp Springs, Md., 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
For General Public:
- Rollingcrest-Chillum Community Center, 6120 Sargent Road, Chillum, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Hillcrest Heights Community Center, 2300 Oxon Run Drive, Temple Hills, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Oakcrest Community Center, 1300 Capitol Heights Boulevard, Capitol Heights, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Fairland Sports and Aquatics Center, 13820 and 13950 Old Gunpowder Road, Laurel, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Palmer Park Community Center, 7720 Barlowe Road, Landover, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
County residents should also be mindful of their neighborhood Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission's recreational facilities and utilize libraries, shopping centers and malls to keep cool.
For additional information, please contact the Prince George's County Office of Emergency Management at 301-780-8313.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
Want to understand a partner? Get to know their brain.
Conn. zoo officials don't know how this baby came to be born.
How much did a painting of a topless "Golden Girl" fetch?
An NFL player relieves himself of his feelings toward the IRS.