WASHINGTON - The fireworks display isn't until this evening, but the National Mall is already coming to life.
Workers and police officers are gearing up for the Fourth of July celebration. Tens of thousands of people may turn out, but the heat and storms in the weather forecast may make the day's events dangerous.
Tips for the Mall on the Fourth
- Take the Metro instead of driving
- Bring lots of water to drink throughout the day
- Don't bring fireworks, alcohol or weapons
- There are 10 access points to the Mall, so if one is too crowded, try another
- Bring a battery-powered radio or use your cellphone to stay connected to WTOP
To get alerts for weather and other emergencies, text 'july4dc' to 88877. This is part of the Park Service's new Mixel notification system.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)