WASHINGTON - Md. Gov. Martin O'Malley says power has been restored to 75 percent of residents who experienced outages after last week's severe storms.
O'Malley said during a news conference Tuesday that about 271,615 people remain without power, down from more than 1 million who initially lost power. The governor also says that the number of out-of-state crews working on the restoration effort has doubled since Monday from 1,000 to 2,000.
O'Malley urged residents to check on friends and neighbors, particularly elderly residents who are especially vulnerable to heat. He also said residents who still lack power should call their utility company to report the outage.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)