WASHINGTON - Energy companies always urge customers to conserve power when higher temperatures set in.
Here are some things you can do to conserve electricity:
- Set your air conditioning at 78 when you are home and higher when you are not;
- Close curtains and blinds to keep out the sun and retain cooler air inside;
- Postpone using major electric household appliances such as stoves, dishwashers and clothes dryers until the cooler evening hours;
- Turn off electric appliances and equipment that you do not need or are not using;
- Set your electric water heater to 120 degrees instead of 140;
- Don't use your stove or oven;
- Replace or clean your air conditioning filter so it doesn't have to work as hard.
Should you have an outage, you can report it to your electric company online.
- Pepco - 1- 877-737-2662
- BGE -1-877-778-2222
- Dominion - 1-866-366-4357
- Allegheny - 1-800- 255-3443
- NOVEC - 1-888-335- 0500
- Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative - 1-877-747-6326
If the electricity goes out, text WTOP at 91035 for phone numbers to contact area electric companies.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)