Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Colonial Williamsburg opens blacksmith exhibit

Sunday - 4/1/2012, 1:43pm  ET

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) - Colonial Williamsburg is celebrating the opening of its newest exhibition site, the James Anderson Blacksmith Shop and Public Armoury.

After more than a year of reconstruction, the industrial site that supported Virginia's war effort during the American Revolution opened to guests on Saturday.

The former chief executive of the candy and pet-food company Mars Inc., Forrest E. Mars Jr., donated $5 million to help build a replica of the blacksmith shop and armory.

The newly reconstructed main building includes four blacksmith forges and a reconstructed kitchen. Officials say reconstruction of the tin shop and several other buildings will continue for another year.

The reconstruction plan recreates the industrial complex owned and operated by James Anderson. He was appointed public armourer in 1776 by the General Assembly of Virginia.


(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)