RSS Feeds

Change could boost bear hunt permits in 2 Md. counties

Sunday - 3/4/2012, 2:11pm  ET

CUMBERLAND, Md. - Maryland wildlife officials say a new formula for allocating bear hunting permits could mean about half of the permits will be awarded to Allegany and Garrett counties, the counties where hunting is allowed.

The Cumberland Times-News ( reports that the Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service will award the first 25 percent of permits to applicants from the bear hunt zone. Those who aren't selected will compete in a drawing for the remaining 75 percent.

Residents of Allegany and Garrett counties draw an average of 35 percent of the permits, but service Director Paul Peditto says the new formula will boost that percentage.

With more local hunters with better access to private lands where nuisance bears tend to live, Peditto expects hunting to become a more efficient bear management tool.


Information from: Cumberland (Md.) Times-News,

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)