FRIENDSHIP HEIGHTS, Md. - Metro's escalators are aging. Many often don't work, but some are worse than others.
While it could take a month to replace the escalators at Dupont Circle, they are not the worst in the subway system.
They don't even make the top 20.
Georgia Avenue is the worst, with one escalator there working only 34 percent of the time and another only 48 percent of the time.
The escalators at Friendship Heights make the top 20 twice. One escalator works only 38 percent of the time, another only 44 percent of the time.
Metro plans to replace or repair 94 escalators, but repairs or replacements can often take months.
Below is a list of the top 20 worst performing escalators as compiled by Metro for ABC7. The number listed after the station is the percentage of time at which a particular escalator at that station works.
- Georgia Avenue: 34.17 percent
- Friendship Heights: 38.46 percent
- Bethesda: 44.57 percent
- Friendship Heights: 44.60 percent
- Huntington: 45.16 percent
- U Street: 46.38 percent
- Georgia Avenue: 48.85 percent
- U Street: 60.87 percent
- Columbia Heights: 61.96 percent
- Glenmont: 65.93 percent
- Georgia Avenue: 66.25 percent
- Arlington Cemetery: 67.07 percent
- Friendship Heights: 69.46 percent
- Georgia Avenue: 70.40 percent
- U Street: 70.56 percent
- Woodley Park: 70.90 percent
- Glenmont: 73.64 percent
- Woodley Park: 73.87 percent
- Cleveland Park: 73.89 percent
- Arlington Cemetery: 74.48 percent
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
A new gadget will let you know how active your dog is. (Video)
Hop-heavy beers rule these rankings of the best in the U.S.
Ed Koch planned every detail of his funeral - except one crucial date.
The U. of Oregon is cracking down on a fan favorite.