WASHINGTON - If you think the "v" in Valentine's Day means "very expensive," think again.
The average person plans on spending about $125 on the big day, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation.
And while men may or many not be putting more thought into their gifts, they are putting in more money. Men will spend an average of $169 compared to an average of $86 by women.
But there are ways to keep the romantic holiday slightly cheaper and get something a little different for your Valentine.
Mainstreet.com has compiled a list of 10 gift ideas that will win his or her heart without breaking the piggy bank.
- Plantable collage for the gardener in your life
- Fancy coffee maker that can also make espresso drinks
- Cool watch
- Jewelry that benefits a good cause
- Yummy doughnuts
- Cozy electronic blanket for movie nights at home
- Origami kit
- Fine art on the cheap by 20x200.com
- Luggage in bright colors and patterns
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Removed.)
Morgan Freeman can't stay awake during a TV interview. (Video)
She can sing, but can she act? Jewel takes on a famous role.
Clothes have a starring role at the Cannes Film Festival. (Photos)
A fallen police officer's daughter gets a swarm of support. (Photos)