WASHINGTON - Holiday weekends are great to relieve stress from work, but for those who take mass transit, they also can be a nightmare in terms of getting around town. Prepare to pay for parking at National Harbor, and also be aware of the parade route in Old Town.
In Alexandria, parking will be free at some lots adjacent to the Eisenhower Avenue Metro Station. Parking here will save you from the difficulties associated with Old Town.
Free DASH shuttle bus service will take you from the Metro station to downtown, near the intersection of Prince and Washington Streets, near the Lyceum. The shuttle will be in service from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Also, the free King Street Trolley service from King Street Metro Station will take commuters to Washington Street. This service continues until 11 p.m.
Here's a quick list of what's closed on Presidents Day:
- All federal offices closed.
- No mail delivery.
- City offices, schools, libraries, courts closed.
- Trash and recycling pushed back one day.
- No meter fees.
- State offices closed.
- Local government offices and courts closed.
- Schools closed, except.
- Regular trash pickup, except for Fairfax City and Alexandria where there is a one-day delay.
- Libraries closed.
- HOV restrictions lifted.
- State offices, courts closed
- Local government offices closed.
- Schools closed.
- Libraries closed.
Sprawl and Crawl
- No parking fees, except New Carrollton Metro garage and National Harbor.
- Parking fees in effect in Howard and Anne Arundel Counties.
- MARC trains: not in service.
- VRE trains: not in service.
- MTA Commuter Bus: not in service.
- Metro has the Federal Triangle and Smithsonian stations closed. Lots of track work is underway.
- Metrorail: modified Saturday schedule.
- Metrobus: Saturday and supplemental schedule.
- Ride-On Bus: modified holiday schedule.
- Prince George's County The Bus: regular schedule, with routes 51/52 extended. No Route 52 serice.
- Alexandria DASH: Saturday schedule.
- Fairfax City CUE: modified weekday schedule.
- Fairfax Connector: holiday weekday schedule. No service on Routes 335, 395, 585, 595 and 597.
- PRTC OMNIRIDE: modified holiday schedule.
- Smithsonian museums are open.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)