RSS Feeds

Nets blow 14-point lead, fall in 3OT to Bulls

Saturday - 4/27/2013, 8:40pm  ET

Brooklyn Nets' Deron Williams (8) and Chicago Bulls' Kirk Hinrich (12) scramble for the ball during the second half in Game 4 of their first-round NBA basketball playoff series Saturday, April 27, 2013, in Chicago. The Bulls won 142-134 in three overtimes. (AP Photo/Jim Prisching)

AP Sports Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Brooklyn Nets appeared ready to jump back into this series. Now, they're just about out of it.

Brooklyn blew a 14-point lead late in regulation and lost 142-134 to the Chicago Bulls on Saturday, leaving the Nets in a 3-1 hole in the first round of the playoffs.

"Definitely a heartbreaker," Joe Johnson said.

The Nets were leading 109-95 in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter when Nate Robinson went on one of his tears and carried Chicago to the wild victory. The streaky guard finished with 34 points.

The next challenge for Brooklyn is avoiding elimination when the series shifts back to Barclays Center for Game 5 on Monday. The Nets are going to have to dig deep to win three in a row after they wasted a prime chance to draw even and steal back home-court advantage.

"Frustrated. Upset," Deron Williams said. "Tired. Lot of emotions."

Robinson scored all but five of his points after the third quarter, including the first 12 in a 14-0 run that wiped out Brooklyn's late lead. Then, with 2 seconds left in the first overtime, he banked in a go-ahead jumper over Williams.

Johnson answered with one of his own to send it to another overtime, tied at 121. The Bulls had a chance to win in the closing seconds of the second extra session, but Joakim Noah was blocked, and the game went to a third OT.

The Bulls finally pulled away after Williams (32 points) drove for a layup to pull Brooklyn to 133-130 with 3 minutes left. The basket accounted for Williams' only points after regulation.

Luol Deng then scored to make it a five-point game, and Nazr Mohammed hit two shots in the final 32 seconds to help preserve the win.

He converted a jump hook, then grabbed the rebound and scored with 19 seconds left after Carlos Boozer made a free throw and missed the second, making it 140-134.

It was quite the change from the end of regulation, when Brooklyn grabbed a 14-point lead on Gerald Wallace's dunk with 3:45 left in the fourth. C.J. Watson then stole the ball and was all alone for a breakaway dunk, but he missed.

Robinson nailed a 3 with 2:53 remaining, and that got the tying run started. Boozer finished it with a layup with about 55 seconds left.

Brook Lopez then hit two free throws, but the Bulls tied it again when Noah put back his own miss with 23 seconds left. Williams missed a jumper and Wallace had his layup blocked by Jimmy Butler with a second left, sending the game into overtime.

"We made a lot of mistakes up 14," Williams said. "It was so long ago, I can't remember what all went on. We had the missed dunk. Missed free throws. I fouled Nate on the 3. We made a lot of mistakes in the fourth quarter."

It looked as if the Bulls would win when Robinson banked in a runner off one foot over Williams with two seconds left in the first OT. But after a 20-second timeout, Johnson caught a pass at the top of the key and nailed a floater at the buzzer, sending it to double overtime.

The Bulls were leading 127-123 after Deng fed Noah for a dunk with 1:18 left in the second overtime, but Johnson quickly quieted the crowd with a three-point play.

Robinson then fouled out when he charged into Williams with just over a minute left. Lopez got fouled with 48.7 seconds left and made the first free throw to tie it at 127 before missing the second. Boozer got the rebound, but Deng missed a jumper with 30 seconds left.

Johnson then missed one for Brooklyn with about six seconds left. Noah was blocked by Lopez, the ball bouncing out of bounds, and the game went to a third overtime after the inbounds pass deflected off the Bulls center and hit the rim.

Robinson came close to missing the second half and overtimes altogether.

He and Watson got tangled up in the second quarter and went crashing into the scorers' table in the second quarter. They exchanged shoves, but the referees decided not to eject them.

Instead, they each got technicals and Robinson -- who was guarding Watson -- picked up a personal foul. But later, he perked up just as the Nets were ready to put this one away.

"I tease Coach (Tom Thibodeau) a lot because it seems like every shot I shoot he's mad," Robinson said, laughing. "At the same time, it's basketball. He does a great job of putting us in position to be successful."

   1 2  -  Next page  >>