MADRID (AP) -- Madrid Complutense University says the director of the anatomy department where a newspaper revealed dozens of bodies donated to medical science were piled up carelessly has agreed to resign, and measures have been taken to make sure the incident never happens again.
University Rector Jose Carillo said in a statement Wednesday that he understood and "profoundly lamented" the alarm caused by newspaper images of the grotesque scenes from the campus basement dubbed the "chamber of horrors."
El Mundo newspaper's photos and video showed discarded body parts, some not covered by sheets, dumped on shelves and tables. The paper said many had had been there for years.
The university insisted it was an isolated occurrence mainly due to staffing and spending cuts. It said there had been no health threat.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.