NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- A police official says three more people were killed by unknown gunmen on the Kenyan coast where 94 people have so far perished in less than a month in attacks claimed by al-Qaida-linked militants.
Robert Kitur, police chief in Mombasa, said Monday that three gunmen opened fire indiscriminately in the Soweto slum of the city Sunday night.
The attack came a day after gunmen attacked a bus and killed seven people near the town of Witu, Lamu County. Al-Qaida linked al-Shabab militants from Somalia claimed responsibility for that attack. Al-Shabab has vowed to carry out attacks in Kenya to avenge the deployment of Kenyan troops to Somalia to fight the militants
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.