Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

UN OKs military action in Central African Republic

Thursday - 12/5/2013, 12:53pm  ET

A Seleka soldier mans a checkpoint in Boali, some 80kms (50 miles) North of Bangui, Central African Republic, checking a World Food Program convoy Wednesday Dec. 4, 2013. To try to put an end to sectarian violence, the UN security council is scheduled to pass a motion allowing French troops to deploy in the country in order to protect civilians and insure security by all necessary means. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay)

EDITH M. LEDERER
Associated Press

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The U.N. Security Council authorized increased military action by France and African troops in the Central African Republican to try to end near-anarchy amid an upsurge in Muslim-Christian violence, killings, torture and rapes.

The council unanimously approved a French-sponsored resolution Thursday as a new wave of violence erupted in the landlocked country's capital, Bangui.

The resolution authorizes the deployment of an African Union-led force for a year with a mandate to use "appropriate measures" to protect civilians and restore security. The AU force, known as MISCA, is expected to increase its troop strength from about 2,500 to 3,500.

The resolution also authorizes French forces, for a temporary period, "to take all necessary measures" to support MISCA.

France promised last week to send 1,000 troops to the Central African Republic. The Defense Ministry has said about 600 troops are in the country.

France's U.N. Ambassador Gerard Araud told the council after the vote that "people have been terrorized by militia carrying out atrocities."

"On the security front, the country risks collapsing into chaos, with uncontrollable and unforeseen consequences for the whole region," he warned. "On the human front, the risk of mass atrocities is there."

"History demands us to avoid the worst," he said.

Whether the French and African forces can save lives largely depends on how far the foreign soldiers venture outside Bangui and into the lawless provinces, where mostly Muslim rebels have been attacking Christian villages. Christian militias, known as anti-balaka, recently have launched retaliatory attacks, forcing thousands of civilians to take refuge in churches and mosques.

Araud said the council's action is "going to make a difference ... in a really immediate future."

He said African and French forces are going to re-establish law and order in Bangui in the coming days, noting reports that some militia are already fleeing the capital because they hear the troops are coming.

Afterward, he said, the plan is to secure the roads to the main cities where tens of thousands of civilians have taken refuge, "to protect them but also to bring them humanitarian support."

Ambassador Tete Antonio, the AU's U.N. observer, told the council that Africa feels it now has "the confidence of the Security Council and an increased international legitimacy to continue and intensify our action." He said the AU will carry out the U.N. mandate "in an aggressive fashion."

The resolution asked Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to provide within three months recommendations for the possible transformation of MISCA into a U.N. peacekeeping operation. The council also asked Ban to rapidly establish an international commission to investigate allegations of rights abuses.

U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power commended the robust effort by France and the AU.

"What matters right now to the civilians whose lives are hanging in the balance is actually not the color of the helmet of those tasked to protect them," she said. "What matters is whether the troops there move out aggressively to protect civilians and to restore security."

The U.S. recently announced $40 million in assistance to MISCA and Britain's Defense Ministry said Thursday that it is in discussions with France about providing "limited logistical support."

The resolution imposes an arms embargo on the Central African Republic for a year and orders all countries to ban the sale or transfer of arms, ammunition, military equipment, spare parts and technical assistance and training. It also expresses the council's intention to swiftly consider travel bans and asset freezes against individuals undermining peace.

Philippe Bolopion, the U.N. director for Human Rights Watch, called the resolution "a crucial step" but called for bolder measures, including the deployment of a well-equipped U.N. peacekeeping force.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.