BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Mayor Thomas Menino has been released from the hospital after prostate surgery and says he is "raring to go."
Menino, 70, was released from Brigham and Women's Hospital on Thursday and said in a video put out by his staff that he is getting back to work.
In the video, he thanked people for their cards, phone calls and well-wishes.
"That gave me encouragement during some of those days when it was tough," he said. "I'm back at the Parkman House, having meetings with my staff, with my constituents. I'm raring to go."
He is recuperating at the mansion, a city-owned residence, instead of his home. Menino has had trouble using the stairs at his Hyde Park home, and Parkman House has an elevator.
The longest-serving mayor in city history underwent surgery late last month for an enlarged prostate, described by his doctor as a common issue for men his age. No more serious issues with his prostate were discovered.
Menino has been mayor since 1993 and has announced he will not seek re-election. He has been beset by health issues recently.
He fractured the smaller of the two bones in his lower leg in April when twisting an ankle. In December, he was released from Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital after spending about six weeks at Brigham and Women's for treatment of a respiratory infection that developed during a vacation in Italy.
While at the hospital, he suffered complications including a compression fracture in a vertebra in his spine. He also was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
He was often seen in public in a wheelchair following the marathon bombings.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.