GLEN BURNIE, Md. - The death of a Glen Burnie high school junior who suffered meningitis-like symptoms prompted Anne Arundel County school officials to warn parents and students about the disease.
Schools officials say it has not been confirmed whether the unidentified girl had contracted the illness, but they decided to move proactively in case meningitis is confirmed.
Schools spokesman Bob Mosier told The Baltimore Sun that a letter was sent to students' parents on Wednesday informing them of the death of the student the day before and providing facts about bacterial meningitis. The spokesman says the bacterial form of the disease is less contagious than the viral form, but still can be deadly.
Meningitis is an infection that inflames membranes covering the brain and spinal cord.
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
This U.S. city is buying $30M worth of iPads for its students.
Meet the newest liligers - mom's a liger and dad's a lion. (Photos)
A Maryland man is charged with poking holes in meat packages.
Woody Harrelson is hustling a new type of paper.